Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mmmmm Winter Soup

It has been so cold and rainy lately that I felt like I wanted to make some soup to warm us up this week. I found a recipe for Beer Cheese Soup online and then tweaked it to fit my own taste :) It came out deliciously cheesy and super filling so I just made a pan of cornbread to go with it and I'm happy to say it was definitely husband-approved.


Beer Cheese Soup
5 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup green onion
salt and pepper
1/3 cup flour
3 cups milk
1 12 oz bottle or can of beer, preferably a lager so the flavor is stronger (I used Yuengling because it happens to be my husband's favorite)
1 1/2 teaspoons spicy mustard
3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
croutons to garnish

1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the green onion and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly. Increase the heat to medium high and add the beer and mustard and bring soup to a boil, still whisking. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes, whisking occasionally to prevent lumps.
3. Once soup has thickened, add the cheese one handful at a time and stir well to let it melt. I kept mine on low heat while doing this which helped the cheese melt easier. Season with some salt a pepper, top with croutons, and enjoy! My husband also added some chunks of cooked ham to his and loved it.



No comments:

Post a Comment