Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Weddings and Babies

This past weekend I went with my fiance to his cousin's wedding in Illinois. I absolutely love weddings and we hadn't been to one for quite a long time so I was really excited to go! The wedding was in a small country church and everyone looked gorgeous. It was country-themed, with burlap runners on the reception tables, a photo booth with cowboy hats, and centerpieces of wildflowers on all the tables. In short- it was a wonderful wedding and we had a a great time!

The one thing that was a little strange about the wedding didn't actually have to do with the ceremony or reception at all. Since E and I are getting married in approximately 6 weeks, it seemed that a lot of people were asking us about our upcoming nuptials and all the details of our wedding-to-be. I know that these people meant nothing negative, but it made me feel a little uncomfortable to be discussing OUR wedding when we were there to celebrate the lives of two other people being joined.

This brings me to one of my biggest pet peeves... overly nosey people. I understand that to some people, weddings are naturally followed by buying a house, a dog, and having children. In that order. As soon as possible. Starting the day the new Mr. and Mrs. get back from their honeymoon.

To us though, this is not the plan.

It's hard for some to understand, but we do not have any plans to have children any time in the near future. Yes, we do adore kids. Yes, I want to have a family one day. But first... is it okay if I get my wedding dress home from the seamstress before we start picking out onesies and cribs? And also... who decided that it was okay to ask people about their family plans for the future? Is it okay for me to ask a married couple how their bedroom life is going? The answer is no.

So we have decided that if anyone asks us on our wedding day if we plan to have kids soon we will just tell them that we are going to start with a dog and see how it goes. But not for at least another year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment